• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Taco_assassin
    Honorary DSA
    • Mar 2006
    • DSA TacO

virtualization

Any thoughts on how i can test out vista on my pc w/o actually installing it?
  • RaTix
    Emperor

You can use VMWare to emulate Vista on your XP.

Been meaning to set this up myself, just haven't put the time aside to do it yet.
    "POWER!!! UNLIMITED POOWWWEEEER!!!!!!

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
    ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

• Taco_assassin
      Honorary DSA
      • Mar 2006
      • DSA TacO

I saw that one RaTix. I was gonna try it but from what i understand, that works by accessing a VM that's already been created by a WMware workstation. I found an opensource from Sun called virtualbox. Seems pretty easy to set up so far and I've currently got it installing a virtual vista. I'll keep you posted. Maybe you can try out VMWare and we can compare. Geekery at it's finest lol.

Comment

• keyser28146
        Honorary DSA

I'm curious to know how that works out.

I always love the linux "live CD's". Shame MS doesn't feel the need to be competitive or give the consumer an option. Of course when your OS is so bloated you'd need a "Live BD" to work...
        sigpic

Comment

• sovereign
          Honorary DSA
          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Taco_assassin
          I saw that one RaTix. I was gonna try it but from what i understand, that works by accessing a VM that's already been created by a WMware workstation.
          This is true for the VMWare player, but I believe VMWare released their ESX 3i free of charge.

I see you found Sun's VM, and of course you could also give Microsoft's VirtualPC a shot.

I recently used VMWare to rebuild my carPC from scratch and then transplant an image of it onto the carPC -- saving myself the hassle of having to install Windows and every other piece of software, and then configure it all while having to sit out there in the car. (I don't have a garage.)

is not the hope you are looking for...

Comment

• sovereign
            Honorary DSA
            • Jan 2008

Oh yah, here's a link to my carPC in case you don't know what I'm talking about. ;)

is not the hope you are looking for...

Comment

• RaTix
              Emperor

I thought there was a free version of the VMWare. Just need to locate a copy of Vista now.
              "POWER!!! UNLIMITED POOWWWEEEER!!!!!!

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
              ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎