• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • norm
    Imperial Guard
    • Jun 2006
    • DSA norm

D-Link HD MediaBridge

This was just released and looks like it should be a buy for us gamers.

FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif., April 20, 2009 — D-Link, the end-to-end networking solutions provider for consumer and business, announced today that it has begun shipping the easy-to-use HD MediaBridge® Starter Kit (DXN-221) that taps into existing coaxial wiring throughout the home, delivering fast, secure and stable connections for extending a home network to devices at the entertainment system and to multiple rooms without interrupting cable service.

The DXN-221 is designed for users who want to add bandwidth-demanding applications, such as high-definition (HD) media streaming, music-sharing and online multi-player gaming, to the home network. Included are two adapters, each with a wired Ethernet port and coaxial F-type connector for bridging the two adapters together.

Users can easily connect one of the included D-Link® HD MediaBridge Adapters to their existing home network router and then to an available coaxial outlet in the home, enabling network and Internet access to multiple rooms. A second adapter is connected to a coaxial outlet in another room to connect Ethernet-enabled devices like PCs and media players. The DXN-221 may be used in rooms with multiple devices by connecting a switch (such as the D-Link DGS-2205 5-Port Desktop Switch) to the adapter to connect additional devices.

The technology also works as a point-to-multipoint network, enabling multiple adapters to be placed throughout the home for connections in any room with a coaxial outlet.

With simple plug-and-play installation, the DXN-221 is ideal for connecting an Ethernet-enabled digital media device, such as TiVo® or Slingbox™ to the home network and the Internet. It also allows users to connect gaming consoles, like the Xbox 360®, Playstation 3® or Nintendo Wii™ to the Internet.

"With simplified user setup, coaxial networking support, the ability to coexist with other coaxial devices and fast networking speeds, our HD MediaBridge Coax Network Starter Kit delivers a simplified networking solution that makes it easy for consumers to enjoy the benefits of a digital home designed for high-definition media streaming, online gaming and other emerging applications," said AJ Wang, chief technical officer for D-Link.

"The technology is a natural complement to our popular networking solutions for moving data quickly into areas of a home where it may be difficult to run a cable or achieve a strong Wi-Fi signal," he said.

The DXN-221 is certified by the Multimedia over Coax Alliance (MoCA) to ensure that it works with other electrical home technologies. MoCA certified products are able to seamlessly deliver HDTV and DVD-quality digital entertainment and high-speed data without interference or latency. The device operates in the 800-1500MHz range, making it compatible with homes wired for cable TV and Internet services.
  • Capthemfoos
    Honorary DSA

Lol, so how does one actually use this?

"The world will look up and shout 'Save us!!!', and I will whisper 'No.'". -Rorschach, Watchmen

Comment

• norm
      Imperial Guard
      • Jun 2006
      • DSA norm

Basically you plug one of the adapters into your current internet/router setup and the other end of the adapter into your cable wall plug. Once that's done you take the other adapter, put it in another room, plug it up to your cable wall plug and from there you can connect your TV, 360, PS3, or any other device you want to network. No need to run Cat5 cable through your house if you don't want to. Most people have coaxial cable in their house they can use this as a cheaper way to network their house.

That make sense?

Comment

• Capthemfoos
        Honorary DSA

Ok, so the router/ internet joint is place A. Place B is where my 360 is at. 1 adapter goes between place A and the wall jack, completely eliminating the need for the thick white wire that connects to my modem. However, there are still wires. No biggy. Then I take the other adapter to place B where I hook it up to the 360 and the wall jack that is nearest to it. Presto, instant network. Is that right?
        Last edited by Capthemfoos; 04-21-2009, 06:46 PM.

"The world will look up and shout 'Save us!!!', and I will whisper 'No.'". -Rorschach, Watchmen

Comment

• RaTix
          Emperor

It goes like this.

Coax -> Modem -> Router -> MediaBridge A -> Different Coax -> Mediabridge 2 -> Whatever devices

It eliminates the need to lay CAT5, but you may need to lay Coax if the room that the Modem is in doesn't have a second Coax outlet (splitter might work though). Would probably work well for DSL users (RJ45 phone line connection) but not so much Cable or FIOS users.
          "POWER!!! UNLIMITED POOWWWEEEER!!!!!!

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
          ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

• Capthemfoos
            Honorary DSA

So essentially it is same as wiring everything except for it allows the possibility of not having to lay wires depending on how your home network is structured.

Comment

• TheRealHanSolo
              Officer
              • Jun 2008
              • DSA Solo

Just use small mice and hamsters like I do.

Comment

Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎