• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheRealHanSolo
    Officer
    • Jun 2008
    • DSA Solo

Resetting OS on Dell Computer

Okay so maybe I have been in the Church of Steve Jobs for TOO long but I swear I remember how to reset the OS for Windows. But here is the thing my parents computer which for some reason has XP and 2000 both installed (they got it from my sister's b/f) I can not figure out how to get 2000 off b/c it is REALLY slowing this thing down. Plus I have an old Dell Latitude I am trying to work on for a friend who was dumb and did not put virus protection on it and know I believe it is infected and all I want to do is reset it back to factory settings. I have hit every F key there is and yet I can not get the option of factory settings to come up. So I thought I would ask you guys and see if anyone can help. Yea I know I should just throw them out cause they are Dells but hey what can I do, lol.
  • norm
    Imperial Guard
    • Jun 2006
    • DSA norm

For the dual boot

Control Panel--> System--> Advanced tab--> Start up and Recovery--> In that next box is the option to Edit the start up file manually. You'll need to do it there. I'm not sure which line to delete, but you can copy and paste them here and I'll let you know, or you can Google the line..lol

To start XP in safe mode, reboot your computer and tap F8 till you get the prompt.

If you're having trouble getting into safe mode due to whatever virus you can try Hiren's Boot CD.

Comment

• RageProphetXIII
      Officer
      • Jan 2009

Yeah that sounds about right Norm.

If you need free antivirus I do recommend using AVS from download.com. it's free and is updated regularly.

Also you could check out Google Pack. it should come with virus protection and a few other goodies to keep your pc running good.
      sigpic

Comment

• RaTix
        Emperor

Are there actually two WINDOWS directories in C:\ or just one (Might be named WINDOWS and WINNT).
        You actually only have to edit the Boot.ini file to remove the invalid windows entry. Then simply remove the WINDOWS directory for 2000 (or XP, whichever your trying to get rid of) if there really is two.

To view the boot.ini you need open My computer or any other Explorer window (NOT Internet Explorer, Just explorer). then click Tools -> Folder Options -> Check Show hidden files and folders, UNCHECK Hide protected OS system files.

The Boot.ini will be in the root of C:

Certain dells have the restore feature built in, I think it's F12 for that menu. Not all models have it though.

Can Also use the XP CD to remove Other installations and Partitions and repair XP.
        Hit F10 on start up for the Boot Device options. Boot from CDROM.

Also to add to what Norm said, if having trouble getting into Safe mode, do a repair install of XP.
        Last edited by RaTix; 05-06-2009, 02:04 PM.
        "POWER!!! UNLIMITED POOWWWEEEER!!!!!!

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
        ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

• Gino
          Civilian
          • Mar 2007
          • Gino31B

I need help too. My computer has Antivirus Symatic software. But when I start the computer it has nothing but the wallpaper showing. I hit ctrl+alt+delte and go to process. The system idle process is the only thing running. i ready to reset the hard drive and start over. any suggestions?
          sigpic

Comment

• RaTix
            Emperor

Sounds like a virus to me. Or Severely conflicting program.

Few things to try,

Power down PC, as soon as you hit the power to turn on, Keep clicking F8 until you get advanced option menu. Highlight "LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIG" and hit enter. See if it loads up.

OR

Once stuck at the wallpaper screen, Press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to bring up task manager. Go to FILE -> NEW TASK (RUN) -> type "explorer" (without the quotes) and hit enter. Should bring up windows.

If you have the XP CD (assuming XP, because who in their right mind would use Vista) put thatin the CDROM and then go to START -> RUN -> type "SFC /SCANNOW" (again no quotes) and hit enter. This will scan all the system files for any inconsistencies and replace with good copies from the CD.

AFTER either of those steps, I recommend following the steps in the Conficker Virus sticky thread. Mainly just need to run Smitfraudfix, Spybot, and malwarebytes.

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
            ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

• norm
              Imperial Guard
              • Jun 2006
              • DSA norm

One thing about the dual boot Ratix, couldn't get just delete the partition that contains Win2K? Or would you still have to go in and edit the boot loader?

And Gino, what RaTix said..lol:p

Comment

• RaTix
                Emperor

Depends on how much of a whore XP is being. Another question would be, are they even on separate partitions or are they parallel installs.

?Darth Plagueis

Comment

• EagleOne
                  Honorary DSA

There is a program I use to remove the dual boot loader and replace it with the original. I have used this to remove the ubuntu because I could not dual boot my laptop because ubuntu does not support 64 bit vista. The program is EasyBCD.

Comment

• RaTix
                    Emperor

Programs, we don't need no stinking programs.

Sample Boot.ini File
                    This is a sample of a default Boot.ini file from a Windows XP Professional computer.
                    [boot loader]
                    timeout=30
                    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
                    [operating systems]
                    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
                    This is a sample of the above Boot.ini file with a previous installation of Windows 2000 on a separate partition.
                    [boot loader]
                    timeout=30
                    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
                    [operating systems]
                    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windo ws XP Professional" /fastdetect
                    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

?Darth Plagueis

Comment

• EagleOne
                      Honorary DSA

LOL Ratix,

This is for the bucks that aren't too computer savvy.

Comment

• Gino
                        Civilian
                        • Mar 2007
                        • Gino31B

Well I got my Windows back on line RaTix, thanks. However my Symantec AntiVirus won't scan the computer anymore. Argh!!!!. It said "Scan engine returned error 0x20000058" I'll have to read the other thread refering to spyware.
                        sigpic

Comment

• RaTix
                          Emperor

Norton Removal Tool

Doesn't matter what version you pick, just click one, skip to step 4 and click the download link.
                          Run the removal tool, and restart. Then let me know what version you have, Norton 360, Internet Security 09, Anti-Virus 09, I'll send you the download link to the installer.
                          If it doesn't automatically, once you enter your username and password for your Norton account during the install, it will link up to your subscription and all that. Sometimes it's just needed after a virus cleaning.

So remove, run the stuff form he virus thread, and then reinstall Norton when done.

Or better yet, cancel that shitty Norton subscription and get AVG.

?Darth Plagueis

Comment

• TheRealHanSolo
                            Officer
                            • Jun 2008
                            • DSA Solo

Well the laptop is done for she doesn't have any type of reset CD or an XP disc. So I guess I will have to find one. Now for the desktop with the two OS's Ratix how do I delete 2000 and just have XP on here since again my parents do not have a disc to just reinstall XP either. If I need an XP disc I have one I was gonna put on my Mac but once I use it I can never install it on another Mac in the future correct?

Comment

• Taco_assassin
                              Honorary DSA
                              • Mar 2006
                              • DSA TacO

Solo,

Depending on what manufacturer made your computers, they'll ship you an OEM OS disc. Dell(ugh) shipped me an XP disc after i searched their forums on looking how to get one. Did the same thing for my gf's laptop after the hdd died and we had to reinstall. These discs are OEM specific so on a dell they don't ask for a 25 digit reg code. If W2k is on a different partition than XP you can use an ubuntu or linuxmint live cd to use the partitioning tool to obliterate the W2k partition, but you'd have to do the things Ratix said with your boot.ini file first.

Comment

Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎