Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deslock
    Darth Beratter

Just in case...

Just in case anyone was wondering why've I've not been more chatty lately, well, put quite simply my 'puter was virused due to my wife's various wandering on the web, and I now have a virus that won't even let me into windows to clear the damn thing out. It removed a system 32 file: "Not found-Skipping autocheck: \sysystemroot\windows\system32\autocheck.exe." Not cool. Windows boot screen comes up, then the whole damn thing shuts down. Tried safe mode reset usuing safe mode..No luck. I had a buddy make me a boot disk on cd. No luck there either. BIOS and CMOS tell me that My 'puter can only be booted up thru hard drive or floppy.

ARRRGH!!!!

What makes it worse is that the damn 'puter I bought had XP pre installed on it, so I don't have a XP disk to really re-boot it, and Home editions cannot be re-used on different machines, Only corporate ones. So I can only visit the net thru my PS3. And as you already know, PS3's and Microsoft IEX don't really like to get along. For the longest time I could access Youtube, but I didn't have any sound. I did find a way around that though finally.

Just thought you guys should know why I haven't been more active.

*Sighs*

sigpic
  • MajinTony
    Honorary DSA
    • Aug 2005

That sux to hear Des. Hope you get things working with minimal hassle.

The PS3 browser does do a fine job on this site though. You may find the lack of character allowance annoying, but most of the time it works just fine on here.

"Beefcake the Mighty, clotted with spew. His sword falls, skulls burst in two. The eyes burst from sockets, he is not through. Thousands of warriors he does this to. Piling the corpses of those that he slew. Untill it was hard to tell if the pile grew!"-GWAR

Comment

• RaTix
      Emperor

Actually, I was just wondering where you've been lol. Sorry to hear about your troubles with the PC though. Maybe not all is lost.

On F8 menu, try "Last known good configuration", sometimes can work.

Are you able to get into safe mode at all, or does it just loop as well? You said you did a reset in safe mode, do you mean a system restore? If you are able to get in there is still hope.

Once in, check C:\ or C:\Windows for a I386 folder, just to make sure you have one. If not, ignore the rest of this message.

If so, go to START -> Run -> type "regedit" hit enter (or OK).

In Regedit navigate on the left to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Setup

You will see various entries here on the right hand side. The one we want is called:

SourcePath

If I386 is in C:\I386, Edit the SOURCEPATH entry to point to C:\

If I386 is in C:\Windows\I386, Edit the SOURCEPATH entry to point to C:\Windows

Close Regedit. (Might need to restart, not 100% sure)

Then go to START -> Run -> type "cmd" hit enter (or OK)

At command prompt, type "SFC /PURGECACHE". After that type "SFC /SCANNOW".

This will scan the windows system files for errors and replace them with extracted GOOD copies from the I386 folder.
      Last edited by RaTix; 05-30-2009, 12:05 PM.
      "POWER!!! UNLIMITED POOWWWEEEER!!!!!!

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
      ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

• Zabka
        Imperial Guard
        • Nov 2004
        • DSA Zabka

Ratix is a good guy to have around, huh?
        You're the best! Around! Nothings gonna ever keep you down!

[URL="http://profile.mygamercard.net/DSA+Zabka"][IMG]http://card.mygamercard.net/community/mondoxbox/DSA+Zabka.png[/IMG][/URL]

Comment

Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎