Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RageProphetXIII
    Officer
    • Jan 2009

Dammit my WD 500 gig external can't be read by the ps3. I really don't feel like installing everything again.
    sigpic

Comment

• MajinTony
      Honorary DSA
      • Aug 2005

Originally posted by RageProphetXIII
      Dammit my WD 500 gig external can't be read by the ps3. I really don't feel like installing everything again.
      format to "FAT32"

"Beefcake the Mighty, clotted with spew. His sword falls, skulls burst in two. The eyes burst from sockets, he is not through. Thousands of warriors he does this to. Piling the corpses of those that he slew. Untill it was hard to tell if the pile grew!"-GWAR

Comment

• RageProphetXIII
        Officer
        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by MajinTony
        format to "FAT32"
        Yeah it already is formatted that way. Thanks guys but I managed to fit my files I wanted onto an 8 gig micro sd. And installed a 7200 rpm 200 gig hdd. It was a snap. And downloaded all files i wanted off of PSN.

It seems I had lots of demos that where taking up space.
        sigpic

Comment

• keyser28146
          Honorary DSA

Yeah the installation is simplicity itself (just don't strip the HDD screws that hold it into the tray).
          sigpic

Comment

• MajinTony
            Honorary DSA
            • Aug 2005

I've heard that once you go past 5400 rpm you may have some issue but Boss seems to be ok.

"Beefcake the Mighty, clotted with spew. His sword falls, skulls burst in two. The eyes burst from sockets, he is not through. Thousands of warriors he does this to. Piling the corpses of those that he slew. Untill it was hard to tell if the pile grew!"-GWAR

Comment

• RageProphetXIII
              Officer
              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by keyser28146
              Yeah the installation is simplicity itself (just don't strip the HDD screws that hold it into the tray).
              Mine is of a simpler design being it's a different model. It has screws on the long sides of the HDD.

Originally posted by MajinTony
              I've heard that once you go past 5400 rpm you may have some issue but Boss seems to be ok.
              Mine is a newer model I just got mine during Xmas last year I'm assuming that those issues are fixed but I don't really put stress on the console. So I expect no problems.
              Last edited by RageProphetXIII; 09-03-2009, 12:13 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

• keyser28146
                Honorary DSA

I've got an original 60GB, and never had an issue with a 7200 drive, though my current one is 5400, you just don't see a performance boost.
                sigpic

Comment

• thedooku
                  Honorary DSA
                  • Sep 2008

It's taken me over 3 years, but I've finally filled up my 60 gig (MAG beta, you big bastard!). Going to order a WD 500gig for $100 and upgrade.

From reading through this thread am I safe to assume the system backup I put on an external will prevent me from having to reinstall all my games and updates?

"The way a man plays a game shows some of his character. The way he loses shows all of it"

Comment

• MajinTony
                    Honorary DSA
                    • Aug 2005

Most. Some saves and store purchases are copy protected and cannot be backed up. All DLC and patches need to be re-DL'd. But media files and most saves will be a ok.

Comment

• keyser28146
                      Honorary DSA

It will backup everything, EXCEPT trophies and data tied to firmware (users, etc).

But as far as DLC, PSN games, game saves, movies, music, etc, it will back it up and you will not have to re-download anything (all DLC is stored in the "game data" folder under games) I've done this twice so far and never had to reDL anything...

Anything that syncs to online servers or is only visible when you are logged in is NOT stored on the HDD and not backed up. Trophies are the biggest example: if the PSN says you have 220 trophies, and you start a game and pick up 52 trophies, the PSN still thinks you have 220 trophies until you complete a sync operation.

In EITHER case, the red "DL'd" symbol will still appear on everything you've downloaded in the store and you CAN re-DL it at any point as many times as you need to ON YOUR PS3. It seems as though different games have different other rules pertaining to them... for example, a PS1 classic can be played on your PS3 and SIMULTANEOUSLY on a PSP mated to the PS3.

Let say your PS3 fries. You lose the PSN games, but on buying a new PS3, you should be able to re-download the games after you log in with your same old PSN account and that gets tied to your new PS3... but it counts as the "2nd system" the software is being used on. I read somewhere that you can do this with up to 5 PS3's on 1 account, but if they catch you doing some "sharing" BS with your PSN account they will ban it.
                      Last edited by keyser28146; 11-27-2009, 09:55 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

• thedooku
                        Honorary DSA
                        • Sep 2008

sweet, thanks for the info fellas! 500Gb PS3 here I come :D

"The way a man plays a game shows some of his character. The way he loses shows all of it"

Comment

• k1gibson
                          Stormtrooper
                          • Jan 2009

Can you take NAS storage device and network it to the ps3? or at least the PS3 recognize the drive.
                          sigpic
                          "We have learned that power is a positive force if it is used for positive purposes."
                          "Conquer, but don't triumph."

Comment

• thedooku
                            Honorary DSA
                            • Sep 2008

It should recognize it, as long as the drive is in FAT32 format. Not 100% though, anyone here tested this?

Comment

• k1gibson
                              Stormtrooper
                              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by thedooku
                              It should recognize it, as long as the drive is in FAT32 format. Not 100% though, anyone here tested this?
                              Yes that is right but I think that using the usb I want to use the RJ45 jack
                              and connect the drive there and transfer files.
                              sigpic
                              "We have learned that power is a positive force if it is used for positive purposes."
                              "Conquer, but don't triumph."

Comment

• thedooku
                                Honorary DSA
                                • Sep 2008

If your PS3 is connected to a router that has a PC with Windows Media Player, you can easily find all your media and transfer it to your PS3.

I imagine it should work, the only question is if the Media Player part is required. Just plug that NAS into your PS3's RJ45 and see if it detects it.

Comment

Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎