X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hogezz
    Honorary DSA
    • Jan 2009

Other Operating System...

What's the deal with this feature on the PS3? What can be done with this? Anyone on here use this feature?

Just wondering...
    sigpic
  • thedooku
    Honorary DSA
    • Sep 2008

It's for Linux. [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_on_the_PlayStation_3[/ame]

I have not tried it, but may be useful for those looking to get more computer out of their console.

"The way a man plays a game shows some of his character. The way he loses shows all of it"

Comment

• keyser28146
      Honorary DSA

Yeah it's pretty cool, since any USB keyboard/mouse works with it, you can essentially boot your PS3 into linux and use your big tv for a monitor and check your email and surf in a more friendly environment.
      sigpic

Comment

• RageProphetXIII
        Officer
        • Jan 2009

Also linux has nice emulators so you can play some classics on your pc.
        sigpic

Comment

• norm
          Imperial Guard
          • Jun 2006
          • DSA norm

Linux is a pretty cool OS. Play around with either Ubuntu or KDE. They are the easiest ones to work with. After a bit if you really want to get fancy after you get the hang of linux is to try LinuxMCE. That's a pretty fun thing to run if you have everything to go with it. By everything I mean the digital library, nice hdtv and so forth. I really don't have that sort of stuff to appriciate it..lol

If you have any questions about linux feel free to post them. I use it and I think Taco uses it. I'm pretty sure a few other folks use it and there's a thread about it here in the tech forum.

Comment

• Rommel
            Civilian
            • Jul 2009

Yeah, I use it. I love my open-source stuff. :)

I installed Ubuntu and it ran incredibly slow though. I would recommend the Xubuntu flavor instead.

Back when the PS3 came out, I installed Ubuntu and it sucked. No WiFi, no Sixaxis support, no printer drivers. Now it works awesome, and even better on Xubuntu.

Go Linux!

EDIT: Apparrently the latest linux kernel has all the drivers for the PS3's hardware built in to it, try getting the latest version of Xubuntu! Woot!
            Last edited by Rommel; 09-08-2009, 07:52 PM.

Comment

• RageProphetXIII
              Officer
              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Rommel
              Yeah, I use it. I love my open-source stuff. :)

I installed Ubuntu and it ran incredibly slow though. I would recommend the Xubuntu flavor instead.

Back when the PS3 came out, I installed Ubuntu and it sucked. No WiFi, no Sixaxis support, no printer drivers. Now it works awesome, and even better on Xubuntu.

Go Linux!

EDIT: Apparrently the latest linux kernel has all the drivers for the PS3's hardware built in to it, try getting the latest version of Xubuntu! Woot!
              So are you using Xubuntu on your ps3? also does this have all the ps3 drivers on it?
              sigpic

Comment

• Rommel
                Civilian
                • Jul 2009

^

Yeah, but I don't use it anymore because I moved my PS3 next to my laptop and I rather use my laptop.

It works great though. It's relatively fast (but I haven't tried emulators or other number crunching stuff).

Comment

• Hogezz
                  Honorary DSA
                  • Jan 2009

Interesting... This is beginning to sound more and more like a good idea.

I wouldn't consider myself a computer wizz or any thing, but I can find my way around an operating system and I'm not afraid to explore them. It wouldn't be alien to me to read a manual or check a forum for advise ether as I used to work in a more basic IT support job before...

Having said that, I don't know Lynux or the difference between the different ones... So for someone like me, what one do you think would be the best one to get? I would be happy to spend a bit more to get the better one. I don't really want to muck about with getting too many drivers for everything too much. But I do know that there will be some of that involved...

I've been looking on the web for some info as to what ones are meant to work and this is what I've got:

Yellow Dog Linux
                  OpenSUSE
                  Fedora
                  Ubuntu

Also I see that some of you mentioned Xubuntu. I'm guessing that's the same as Ubuntu... right?

Any recomendations on the above? Thanks a lot folks :D
                  sigpic

Comment

• RageProphetXIII
                    Officer
                    • Jan 2009

Personally I'm still looking at the differences in them, I'd like to have one that is meant to take advantage of the ps3 processors but from what I understand they console only runs the Other OS in an emulated state so it does not take advantage of its power. Now This may just be old news so I'm looking into it now.

Any opinions or comments?
                    sigpic

Comment

• Hogezz
                      Honorary DSA
                      • Jan 2009

Now after some reading... Thinkin of getting the Ubuntu or yellow dog Linux.

Looks like I missed the point on cost eh? What a noob! It's free! Probably download it tonight...
                      sigpic

Comment

• keyser28146
                        Honorary DSA

I have stayed on Ubuntu since about 6.04 or so I think. Currently it's at 9.04, and it just plain rocks... As far as machine to use for general web surfing and document prep, I won't touch windows OR mac. I also use it as a work laptop for programming radios/etc since it is just plain faster and has a decent set of tools really accessible.

I switched off the MS Office crap years ago when I went Linux, and chose Ubuntu based on the forums. People can be asses everywhere, to be sure, but the philosophy of the Ubuntu flavor seems to generate very helpful folks to help others out, instead of hyper-dorks making fun of ultradorks making fun of superdorks making fun of the noobs. The community with Ubuntu seems more helpful... certainly moreso than redhat, though yellow dog is not a flavor im familiar with.

I still use Windows based for editing and photoshop, but I just run dual boot on my laptop and windows on everything else. Once the linux editing programs catch up to being able to do some of the things Premeire, After Effects, and Photoshop can do, I'll convert to that and never look back.

I've never had any problem using OpenOffice to submit letters and spreadsheets and presentations to work, even though they run ONLY MS Office products... the compatibility is really good and seems to work just fine.

It is a FAR more intuitive setup than either windows or Mac, though I haven't tried snow leopard, but frankly Macs only outperform PC's because they don't need the constant virus protection. Linux doesn't even think about it, and hell I don't even bother on PC's, I just save work files to external HDDs and never let machines that don't HAVE to have internet touch it. In my opinion virus scanners rob enough performance to be labelled viruses themselves, I'd rather run clean and re-install every few months.
                        sigpic

Comment

• RageProphetXIII
                          Officer
                          • Jan 2009

Yellow dog is probably the one to get since it was designed for the PS3. I've tried Ubuntu before on my laptop works great on a pc. But I've heard it doesn't stand up as great on the PS3 but my opinion is a bit dated on that one.

They may have fixed it but last I heard the PS3 runs it like an emulator so it doesn't take advantage of the processing power, and runs rather slow

I also found this when searching around it may be useful to you.

http://us.fixstars.com/support/insta..._ps3_guide.pdf
                          Last edited by RageProphetXIII; 09-09-2009, 07:16 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

• RageProphetXIII
                            Officer
                            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by keyser28146
                            I.....I still use Windows based for editing and photoshop, but I just run dual boot on my laptop and windows on everything else. Once the linux editing programs catch up to being able to do some of the things Premeire, After Effects, and Photoshop can do, I'll convert to that and never look back.....
                            Have you heard of Gimp, and Blender I'm not fluent in either but these software are great for editing pictures and Blender in like Maya only FREE. You may want to check them out if you haven't already.
                            sigpic

Comment

• keyser28146
                              Honorary DSA

Yeah.

They are good for roughly iMovie/iPhoto or Ulead/Paint Shop Pro level software, but they don't have a lot of the professional features and functionality. But for putting clips together they are fine, but they aren't going to put Final Cut Pro or Avid Express or Shake or After Effects or Photoshop out of business.

Gimp is just fine for basic editing, but I went to shooting in RAW, and since I went RAW I haven't used Gimp except for jpeg manipulations when I was too lazy to reboot. I am pretty sure I can get an NEF plugin to allow Gimp to process it, and that may be a project for next week, but the automation functionality of Photoshop is pretty hardcore, especially when you have to batch process 1200-1800 pics at a time.

Cinelerra, however, could be awesome... I'm watching that software very closely. I am REALLY hoping this does even half of what they are aiming for, because I would LOVE to be able to edit full HD and above and REDCode in Linux natively.

I do recommend celtx over any other screen writing software by a huge margin. It absolutely crushes Final Draft or any of that crap.
                              sigpic

Comment

Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎