X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hogezz
    Honorary DSA
    • Jan 2009

WiFi Issue

I was wondering if you guys have a clue what is wrong with my WiFi. When I switch on the laptop I get the message "Limited Access", eventhough I have full WiFi signal.

If nothing else is connected to the WiFi router then it seems to work if I give it some time. Though If I do have something else connected then it doesn't seem to connect at all.

Here's a screen shot of the message...

[ame="http://www.darksidealliance.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=664&c=3"]Wifi Issue - DSA Photo / Video Gallery@@AMEPARAM@@http://www.darksidealliance.com/gallery/files/3/3/7/4/wifi_problem.jpg@@AMEPARAM@@http://www.darksidealliance.com/gallery/files/3/3/7/4/wifi_problem.jpg[/ame]
    sigpic
  • norm
    Imperial Guard
    • Jun 2006
    • DSA norm

Sorry about the issue. Just kinda curious here.

1. Are you letting Windows or HP control the wireless connection?

2. I see you are using Windows 7, did you make sure to update your wireless card driver?

3. What router are you using and are you using a third party firmware?

4. Is your wireless protected?

5. What computer did you get again

Let me know the answers to those and hopefully we can get this working for you.

Comment

• Hogezz
      Honorary DSA
      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by norm
      Sorry about the issue. Just kinda curious here.

1. Are you letting Windows or HP control the wireless connection?

2. I see you are using Windows 7, did you make sure to update your wireless card driver?

3. What router are you using and are you using a third party firmware?

4. Is your wireless protected?

5. What computer did you get again

Let me know the answers to those and hopefully we can get this working for you.
      1. Yea I think it's HP controling the wireless. When Windows starts I get a message pop up from the system try at the bottom right pop up telling me that the HP wireless assistant is on.

2. I didin't manually update the driver. Though I did let a couple of auto updates from the "HP PC Dock" run. I don't know what was updated. Could have been the drivers. The laptop is still very new still.

3. The router is a Canyon (Model: CN-WF514M). Not sure what you mean by the firmware. There was a CD with it, but I didn't seem to need it, as I got acccess to the menu for the router by typing it's IP addess into the browser.

4. I changed the default password that it asks you for when you type in the IP address of the router into the browser. I set up a password to connect to the wifi. The settings are:

Encription: WPA pre-shared Key
      WPA Unicast Cipher Suite: WPA(TKIP)
      Pre-shared Key Format: Passphrase

5. HP Compaq Presario CQ61 Notebook
      Last edited by Hogezz; 01-03-2010, 07:04 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

• norm
        Imperial Guard
        • Jun 2006
        • DSA norm

Okay here are some things you can check to see if it will help you.

One thing you can try is to let Windows handle the wireless

You can do this by
        1. Clicking on the Start Button
        2. Click on "Control Panel"
        3. In the search box in the top right corner type "Wireless"
        4. In the list that pops up look for "Manage Wireless"

From there let Windows manage your wireless and then tell HP to quit managing it.

See if that helps any. If it doesn't (and Ratix can chime in here) it could be a couple of things and here is what to check.

1. Click on Start

2. Type in Device Manager in the little search box for the Start Menu (it's on the bottom) then search for it.

3. In the new window that pops up look for your wireless card and click on the little triangle to expand the tree (it should be with your network or close to it)

4. Once you do that click on the actual card itself once to highlight it and right click to bring up a sub menu. In the sub menu choose Properties and click that.

5. In the new box that pops up click on Driver and look at the info for your driver.

Once you do that go to HP's Website and make sure you have the latest version. I'm not sure for HP where to find the info off the top of my head. I would guess it would be under the support tab and you search for the model and series of your laptop and find it that way.

If you have the latest wireless card driver we now need to check on your firmware for your Router. If you know how to access your router through your Browser now is the time. If not open up Windows Explorer and type in 192.168.62.1 in the address bar and hit enter. (if that doesn't work let me know)

In the router window there should be a info screen, section, blurb, something that will have what version of the firmware you are using. The most current version listed on Canyon's site is 1.43. So if it doesn't say that you may need to update the router.

If you do here is the site for it.

I'm not sure how to update your router's firmware. Hopefully Ratix might know or there might be instructions you saved or find on Canyon's website.

Comment

• RaTix
          Emperor

I would firstly and foremost set Windows to control the Wireless. All third party wireless clients like (and especially) the HP assistant can cause extra unneeded trouble. It's like having your best friend act as the go between with your girl. And when it comes to a hand job and fingering her, you Don't want a go between. The HP assistant, Linksys Manager, and other like programs are all essentially communicating between the hardware wireless adapter and windows to control the wireless. Cut out the middle man.

Once you have windows controlling it all, see if it connects without issues. If not, there might be some bad security encryption stored in the memory of the wireless, router, or both. Best bet, go into the wireless management and delete all stored connections. Then power cycle the modem, router and PC, in that order. In fact, shut down the PC, then the unplug the router and modem. Plug modem in, wait for all lights to go green and solid, or however they should be normally when connected. Then power on Router, then Turn on PC. Manually enter in the connection and security details (WEP, WPA, etc..) again.

Also make sure the settings are not set to auto connect to best connection or closest connection. whatever your main network is, keep as the default main connection. It's very easy for things to get looped up in wireless.

If using WPA, your router or wireless might not support that type of encryption or level of encryption (32, 64, 128, 256 bit encryption). So if updates don't help, try WEP as just about every router and wireless adapter should support that at the very least.
          "POWER!!! UNLIMITED POOWWWEEEER!!!!!!

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
          ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

• thedaxxman
            Civilian
            • Oct 2008

Hogezz, you have nothing to worry about with your wifi issue. Mine did the same thing with the HP Wireless Assistant. It WILL go away, just give it some time and I assure you, it will just go away. Or just follow Ratix's advice on it.

Comment

Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎