X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thedaxxman
    Civilian
    • Oct 2008

Help!!!!

I need some help with a problem with my laptop's hard drive. I recently formatted it(about three days ago) and reinstalled Windows Vista. Just a few minutes ago, my disk space was about 10 gigs free out of 20 and just now I saw the "Low Disk Space" notification. I was wondering if I could get some help with knowing what's wrong with my computer and how I can fix it. There shouldn't be any viruses on it due to the fact I've had it on twice since i formatted it. I would greatly appreciate anyone willing to help me on this one.

• RageProphetXIII
    Officer
    • Jan 2009

ok before we continue. give us specs on this so called computer....how big is your hardrive? all specs you know of.
    sigpic

Comment

• RaTix
      Emperor

Was it a low disk space, or low virtual memory error?
      "POWER!!! UNLIMITED POOWWWEEEER!!!!!!

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
      ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

• WV Tech
        Civilian
        • Aug 2009

Rattix has a great point, if it is low VM error you may need more RAM, but in the mean time you can simply increase the amount of HDD space alloted for VM

Comment

• thedaxxman
          Civilian
          • Oct 2008

To my knowledge it is an 80 gig. Probably a 5400 RPM. I have an HP Compaq 6710b, with Vista Ultimate. And it is the low disk space. I may have found what the problem is, I need some verification with it though, is it possible for Window's shadow copies to do this? I ask because, I was nosing around on here and I went into my Windows folder's properties and went to the "Previous Versions" tab and there were about 6 or 7 versions there and I went into their properties and noticed they were over 10 gigs on my hard drive and I could not delete them. Is there any simple task I can do, I don't want to have to reformat and it can't be too technical.

Comment

• RaTix
            Emperor

I'm a little confused. Your first post said you had 10GB free out of 20, but you say now it's an 80GB HDD. Do you have multiple partitions on there?

And yes, shadow copy (system restore) can take up disk space. Usually not a lot, but if your down to only 10GB free, then it might make the difference.

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
            ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

• WV Tech
              Civilian
              • Aug 2009

if this was a diy installation and it was aborted or encountered some type of error causing it to restart the instalation windows would create a new partition for each attempt

Comment

• thedaxxman
                Civilian
                • Oct 2008

Yes, there are partitions, but there are only three. I have C: D: and something called acronis.

Comment

• thedaxxman
                  Civilian
                  • Oct 2008

Thanks Ratix, that site showed me how to turn that stuff of so in addition to not being annoyed by it, I freed up 5 gigs :D

Comment

• Crono
                    Honorary DSA
                    • Dec 2004

80 Gigs is kind of small to have so many partitions. I would recommend repartitioning, and having either zero partitions or just one.

Comment

• thedaxxman
                      Civilian
                      • Oct 2008

Well now it needs to be sent in to tech support, it fell off my couch and now the screen is busted. When I get it back would you mind running me through on how to get rid of the partitions?

Comment

• WV Tech
                        Civilian
                        • Aug 2009

When you get it back see how many disk drives are listed on it.

Comment

• thedaxxman
                          Civilian
                          • Oct 2008

Before I had three like I said. C: and D: both took 20 and Acronis was 40

Comment

• RaTix
                            Emperor

Did you have a purpose for three partitions? Like different OS's for each? If not, when you get it back I would remove all partitions and just do 1.
                            Acronis is a disk management utility like partition magic, so not sure why it has a 40gb partition for itself.

?Darth Plagueis

Comment

• thedaxxman
                              Civilian
                              • Oct 2008

It was a school laptop from when I still went to college a year ago so beats me. I just don't know how to get rid of them.

Comment

Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎