Ad

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deslock
    Darth Beratter

As a Chef, How in the Hell did I miss this thread..???!!

As I'm quite sure you have learned this by now, BBQ is like chess. Learning how to do it is very easy. Mastering it takes years, hence why they're called "Pit masters". It's BBQ's title of Chef.

Any good brisket takes at least 14-16 hrs. And what that man told you was completely correct. If you don't wrap it in foil, it'll dry out fast. Sure, it'll taste good, but it'll be like eating shoe leather.

I'm glad to see you're experimenting with sauces. That's 50 % of Q. great Q with a substandard sauce will bite you back everytime. I've seen "meh" BBQ; but topped with a fantastic sauce, and that'll win every time. Heck all the fun in Q is experimenting with different woods, rubs, and creating your own sauces. And as a plus, everyone really enjoys testing out your work..Heh. ;) Getting the perfect bark and smoke ring can be a challenge. Too much...and it overpowers.
    Not enough, and you might as well have baked it. And the woods are fun too. Hickory, mesquite, apple, cherry, Hell I've even seen people win with pear for God's sake, and with combo's with all the above.

Congrads, and keep up the good work. Looks fantastic ! I'm proud of you !!!
    Last edited by Deslock; 08-04-2013, 10:23 PM.

sigpic

Comment

• Stryker0022
      Honorary DSA

Wow ND, that's a piece of art. Just made me hungry for some BBQ.
      PSN: Stryker0022
      XBL: DSA Stryker

sigpic

Comment

• MajinTony
        Honorary DSA
        • Aug 2005

That right there, is the difference between grilling, and actual BBQ. What a fine looking pork butt!!!

"Beefcake the Mighty, clotted with spew. His sword falls, skulls burst in two. The eyes burst from sockets, he is not through. Thousands of warriors he does this to. Piling the corpses of those that he slew. Untill it was hard to tell if the pile grew!"-GWAR

Comment

• hecx2370
          Civilian
          • May 2012

Originally posted by nd32479
          LOL...I live in IL, right along the Mississippi. Anytime Fett. Anytime. Just give me heads up and I'll have some ready.

Fett, you have some real good BBQing going on down in Tampa as well. If you can get out to the pan handle of FL, you really have some good stuff going on there. If you make your way down to Miami, they do roast pig the best in my opinion. Cubans have a traditional Christmas dinner where they slow roast a pig. I think it is simply called "Christmas Pig". It is AWESOME! My apologies to the NC fellas, I know you all do pig well. But for me, the Cuban style pig roast is the best.

Pernil is what they call it. My friend and I just cooked one in the caja china:
          http://www.lacajachina.com/Default.asp. The thing came out awesome and only took 4 hours. I was just talking about some guys I watch I youtube. Lookup the BBQ Pit Boys. I think you'll enjoy!

Comment

• nd32479
            Imperial Advisor
            • Aug 2009

Hecx, you make Cuban much? It is my absolute favorite type of food! I use to go to Miami a 2 to 3 times a year for work and got hook. It's been several years since I been to Miami and can't get good Cuban. I had a small little dinner called "Taste of Cuba" ran by a Cuban lady whose husband was going to college in my town. The dinner sat maybe 12 people, but I would go 2-4 times a week! She left after her husband graduated. That was a sad day!

I love to cook but for some reason, I have not really tried to cook Cuban. I think I need to put that on my to do list!

I have never heard of caja china. Seems like it is more for the whole pig or 8-12 pork butts instead of just one at a time. But maybe they make smaller ones that I just did not see.
            ND

PS3 ID - x__ND__x

XBOX Gametag - DSA x ND x

...So live, that when thy summons comes to join
            The innumerable caravan, which moves
            To that mysterious realm, where each shall take
            His chamber in the silent halls of death,
            Thou go not, like the quarry-slave at night,
            Scourged to his dungeon, but, sustained and soothed
            By an unfaltering trust, approach thy grave
            Like one who wraps the drapery of his couch
            About him, and lies down to pleasant dreams.

William C. Bryant

sigpic

Comment

• hecx2370
              Civilian
              • May 2012

I wish I cooked like a cuban! Check out the roastbox.com. They make a, IMO, a better box. However they are currently moving and not taking orders at this time. http://www.roastbox.com/en/index.htm Some Good Stuff!!!

Comment

Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎