Ad

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • captnjeter
    Honorary DSA

But people can't vote to stop people from being "festive". I mean, if you're going to allow a town to vote whether or not they can trick-or-treat, and let's say the 12,000 out of the 15,000 vote for it and pass it, do you really think the 3000 that lose aren't still going to do it? And you can say what you want about Halloween not being a "holiday", then I would disagree with. Just because people get a day of decide whether it's a holiday or not. People get Columbus Day off, but I don't think many people truly consider that a holiday. People don't get St. Patrick's Day off (in America) but that is considered a holiday.

Furthermore, if parents don't want their kids to go out on Halloween it should be their decision and their alone. I wouldn't want some parent worrying about if anyone drugged/spiked the candy to want to ban Halloween in my neighborhood and ruin my children's fun. If they don't want to be hassled with the very little time it takes to see if any of the wrappers were tampered with then don't allow your kids out. But don't make my kids suffer because you're paranoid.
    "You gotta have fun. Regardless of how you look at it, we're playing a game. It's a business, it's our job, but I don't think you can do well unless you're having fun." - Derek Jeter

Comment

• Deslock
      Darth Beratter

if the parents in that community feel their kids are at risk why can't they say "we want to ban trick or treat" i think as a community and as a nation we should have a right for the people to have a vote if they feel that strongly about it.
      But the point here is that it wasn't the parents that decided to ban Trick or Treating, it was the town's civic leaders. It wasn't a community decision. The leaders decided that they knew best for the kids, and tried to remove that right from the rightful people in charge, that is...The parents.

And that was just plain wrong. And why the parents overturned it.

And good for them.

I hate Christmas. I really, really do.

Have for years. But I would never in a million years try to tell other people that since I don't like it, they can't celebrate it. That would be wrong. I don't have that right. Your rights only consist of what is personally right for you alone, as in the old saying: "The right to swing your arms around, ends when you hit someone else." ;)

sigpic

Comment

• Rommel
        Civilian
        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by captnjeter
        But people can't vote to stop people from being "festive". I mean, if you're going to allow a town to vote whether or not they can trick-or-treat, and let's say the 12,000 out of the 15,000 vote for it and pass it, do you really think the 3000 that lose aren't still going to do it? And you can say what you want about Halloween not being a "holiday", then I would disagree with. Just because people get a day of decide whether it's a holiday or not. People get Columbus Day off, but I don't think many people truly consider that a holiday. People don't get St. Patrick's Day off (in America) but that is considered a holiday.

Furthermore, if parents don't want their kids to go out on Halloween it should be their decision and their alone. I wouldn't want some parent worrying about if anyone drugged/spiked the candy to want to ban Halloween in my neighborhood and ruin my children's fun. If they don't want to be hassled with the very little time it takes to see if any of the wrappers were tampered with then don't allow your kids out. But don't make my kids suffer because you're paranoid.
        Well put.

I'm not a lawyer, but I believe the First Amendment and further US Supreme Court expansions on the First Amendment allow people to gather and celebrate anything they bleeping want to as long as it's peaceful.

So if a town meeting chooses to "ban" halloween for my future kids, they can suck my balls. Last time I checked, the American flag was red, white and blue, and not just red with a hammer and sickle. :)

Comment

• Rommel
          Civilian
          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by SnipeKing
          the problem is that there are too many weirdos in the world that take things and make them bad. yes your scaring kids and whatnot but there is also a guy somewhere coaxing up a scheme to take kids for ransom or whatever those sick fucks dream up.
          Like the late George Carlin once said: "Take a fucking chance in life!"

How many people die or are harmed in any way while Trick-Or-Treating? I would be surprised if it's over 10k in the nation.

Let's say 10k people are killed in Halloween while Trick-or-treating. That's 0.01% of the total children population under 14 years old in the US (which is around ~61million). [start=sarcasm]Holy shit, I guess we should call an emergency session to vote on the matter.[end=sarcasm]

More children die due to, well, pretty much anything!!!

Comment

Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎