Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrpappy2u
    Civilian
    • Feb 2009

Correction we use SBC That web site shows cable doing appox 18 mb/s and sbc @ 2.91 mine is 2.53 ( download ) I have been told by friends that use it that they did not notice much if any of a speed change over the cable. My understanding that in a perfect world that cable is faster but that you are sharing it with others so that makes a difference.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention
    of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved
    body, but rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly
    used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:
    "WOW...What a ride!"

Comment

• RaTix
      Emperor

Thanks for your apple background lol. If your doing a lot of gfx work, apples are the better way to go. But moving along.

I don't think your going to find any decent Combo units. A lot of companies have moved away from that idea recently. There are only a few Wireless-N combo units, like this one,

Buy TRENDnet TEW-635BRM Wireless ADSL2/2+ Modem Router IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g, IEEE802.11n Draft 2 with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Which seems to have a fair amount of poor reviews. Also no Gigabit LAN. Linksys has some for Cable (Linksys WCG200), but agian no Gigabit LAN, and only wireless-G, no N. Haven't been able to find any for DSL (RJ-11 port). Not sure if SBC is DSL or cable.

I think your best bet is to get a decent router with the functions you need and just see if there is any modem upgrades you can get from SBC.

A router with standard 100M WAN should be more then enough for your needs. Just look for something with Gigabit LAN ports for your internal network data transfers.

Besides Newegg.com, Tigerdirect.com has decent prices. It's just as user friendly to navigate.
      "POWER!!! UNLIMITED POOWWWEEEER!!!!!!

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
      ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

• mrpappy2u
        Civilian
        • Feb 2009

Thanks !!
        Your power of information shall be heeded !
        "WOW...What a ride!"

Comment

• RaTix
          Emperor

Whoa, big typo,

Tigerdirect.com has decent prices. It's just as user friendly to navigate.

Should have been

Tigerdirect.com has decent prices. It's just NOT as user friendly to navigate.

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
          ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

• thatgirlkim
            Honorary DSA
            • Mar 2007
            • TgK60

Thanks Norm, that will help when shopping time comes...
            “Nobody will ever win the battle of the sexes. There's too much fraternizing with the enemy.” - Henry Kissinger

Comment

• mrpappy2u
              Civilian
              • Feb 2009

I just contacted ATT that carries our DSL , I must have gotten the right person , she is going to upgrade us to a wireless gateway modem/router ($100.00 value ) at no charge. AND so she says for 1 year at no charge set us up to "double our speed " free for 1 year and then $5.00 per month after that. We shall see what we shall see ! Never hurts to ask , and be really friendly while you are doing it. Thanks for all the info I will watch my speed as I upgrade my equipment. Now I will be really happy if this truly helps with my gaming .... it couldn't be JUST me.
              "WOW...What a ride!"

Comment

• norm
                Imperial Guard
                • Jun 2006
                • DSA norm

Ratix, I was wondering what you meant by Tiger Direct...lol I went to their website to see if I missed some new redesign :D

Kim, When it gets time to buy one post what your needs are and price range we should be able to help you more. I prefer Linksys and so does Ratix, but others have used D-Link and liked it.

Pappy, Any new update with the modem will help. After 10 years with your old modem if you haven't updated firmware and the such you aren't getting the best speeds or connection. With the new modem you should see an improvement. Wireless signal should be a little stronger. With the bump in speed things should download and upload faster, those art files are a pain in the ass...lol

Comment

• RaTix
                  Emperor

she is going to upgrade us to a wireless gateway modem/router ($100.00 value ) at no charge.
                  Should have mentioned that. Through your ISP, and especially DSL providers, are really the only places to get the combo router/modems. Since they started to provide them for their customers, the retail market for them has become practically non existent. How good they are, and how easy to setup, is a different story though.

?Darth Plagueis

Comment

• mrpappy2u
                    Civilian
                    • Feb 2009

RaTix, I think you are right about the att unit. I have had a couple of issues with my internet in the last 24 hours and in talking with the Apple tec folks he said the ATT modem/router prob. will not work with my apple . It uses a 64 bit inscription and that will not work I think Apple uses a 124 bit ? He went on to say that the 64 bit can be hacked by a mad 8yr old with a wii . You get the drift. He did recommend using a separate modem router also.
                    "WOW...What a ride!"

Comment

• norm
                      Imperial Guard
                      • Jun 2006
                      • DSA norm

What is the model of your new router/modem unit? That 64 bit thing sounds a little fishy

Comment

• mrpappy2u
                        Civilian
                        • Feb 2009

OK....
                        I did get the new router ( Norm it is called a wireless gateway made by 2wire ) I ran a new phone line and installed it in the wall next to my PS3 plugged it in , plugged in the power hooked up the enet to the PS3 , went out to the shop on my computer clicked on safari that took me to the att sign up page put in a couple of bits of info and BAMM I was on line , one of those times when you know something is wrong because it went to easy. Well no problems so far so good , everything works even the PS3 hardwired. The downside is so far nothing is better or faster ping about the same up load and down load about the same , I am still getting shot out of the ski just as fast ( I was hoping for something there, but to no avail . Maybe a little more speed will come my way when the up grade is dsl service take ahold. Not sure about the 64 vs 128 thing . Anyway all went very well.
                        "WOW...What a ride!"

Comment

Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢