Ad

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RaTix
    Emperor

Go into the BIOS and see if the system itself recognizes it.

Getting to the BIOS is different on each system. Usually it's either Delete, F1 or F2 key on the first Dell/HP/Whatever splash screen that comes up. It will say Press "specific key" to enter SETUP.

Once in the bios it might be listed on the first page with the devices connected. Look for anything labeled CD/DVD ROM.
    You might have to do into "Standard CMOS settings" or "Devices" section to find it. Just look for a section that lists IDE or SATA, or Devices, or anything along those lines.

Some Examples

If it cannot even detect it in here, the Drive is shot and you'll have to get a new one. They tend to go without any warning. Usually every year or two you'll find yourself replacing them.

Newegg offers customers an awesome experience shopping for computers, hardware, electronics, networking solutions, and more. Upgrade your shopping experience today!

They have cheapest prices for parts. DVD Burners really aren't that expensive.
    "POWER!!! UNLIMITED POOWWWEEEER!!!!!!

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
    ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

• cmj75
      • Oct 2008

Thanks Ratix...I will try that next...although those screen shots made my brain explode...LOL

Comment

• cmj75
        • Oct 2008

We'll now the laptop won't come on....wth
        Went to turn it on...blue light comes on ...fan running....nothing else
        Oh except that I can eject the cd/DVD rom now ...seriously!?!

Comment

• cmj75
          • Oct 2008

Tried the static test and didn't work
          Only light that comes on is the power one, the other light that shows processing something goes for a split second then nothing
          The fan is really light though so it might not "really" b on
          I am f'd aren't i

Comment

• nd32479
            Imperial Advisor
            • Aug 2009

I find in these situation the best approach is to throw it, kick it, or hit it with a hammer. If that does not work, then I think it will be time to get a new one and blame the laptop breaking on the kids or wife.
            ND

PS3 ID - x__ND__x

XBOX Gametag - DSA x ND x

...So live, that when thy summons comes to join
            The innumerable caravan, which moves
            To that mysterious realm, where each shall take
            His chamber in the silent halls of death,
            Thou go not, like the quarry-slave at night,
            Scourged to his dungeon, but, sustained and soothed
            By an unfaltering trust, approach thy grave
            Like one who wraps the drapery of his couch
            About him, and lies down to pleasant dreams.

William C. Bryant

sigpic

Comment

• RaTix
              Emperor

Take the battery out and leave it out. Plug in the power cord and see if it's able to boot up. The battery might not be holding a good charge, or the power adapter itself might be shot and putting out the wrong voltage and amps, causing it to not be able to fully power up.

By the sound of it, it seems to be a power issue somewhere. It's possible that the DVD Rom drive is burnt out too, drawing more power then it should and causing the problem. You should be able to remove the DVD drive to see if that helps. I don't think I've ever seen a laptop where you couldn't (except Macs). If you give me the exact make and model, I could look it up for you.

Worst case scenario, the mother board itself is fried. In which case its time for a new laptop.
              "POWER!!! UNLIMITED POOWWWEEEER!!!!!!

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
              ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

• cmj75
                • Oct 2008

It's the motherboard...

Comment

• cmj75
                  • Oct 2008

Thanks everyone for helping
                  Ended up getting a new one
                  The only bind I am in now is I hadn't backed up yet..hard drive was on table and it was a project I was going to do over break..perfect timing huh..
                  Going to b charged 300 to recover so I think I am going to see if my IT guy at work will help me recover
                  Pissed at myself for not backing it up

Comment

• cmj75
                    • Oct 2008

Figured out how to fully recover my Itunes library...not just my purchases.

All you have to do is hook up the ipod and access the actual Ipod from MY computer. Show hidden files and select all the music folders (under something like Ipod control) and then drag to computer. Then click on each song (annoying with over a 1000 songs ) but then Itunes automatically recognizes them as within your library.

Pretty cool was able to restore my whole library within a few minutes and didn't have to download any additional software.

Sweet!! (973)

Comment

Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎