Ad

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RaTix
    Emperor

Only Vista sticks you to one hardware setup. Dell's use an OEM, but isn't the problem really. They also sometimes use a small eprom chip with a very specific code so you can't just use any XP CD. Think they only did that on a few type of systems and awhile ago though.
    For a repair install it wouldn't matter. As long as the CD is the same version (Home or Pro) a repair will work.

For the laptop, if you can get in safe mode, and you think the only problem is viruses and shit, follow the instruction on the conficker thread. Use a USB drive to transfer over the files needed.

For the Desktop and removing the w2k. Simply edit the boot.ini to remove the w2k entry. This stops the boot loader screen that asks you to choose an OS to load.
    Then simply delete the w2k windows directory. That's not what is slowing the computer down though, as windows can only be running one instance of itself at any giving time. If your in XP, w2k are just some files at that point. Nothing is actually loaded.
    "POWER!!! UNLIMITED POOWWWEEEER!!!!!!

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
    ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎