Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RageProphetXIII
    Officer
    • Jan 2009

Ok so I found a Playstation 2 emulator that may work on linux, also from the little that I have read you can play games right off of the PS2 disk and get online play. I will read more about this and try to get it to work on my PS3 Yellow Dog Linux and let you all know how it goes.

Minutes after trying to install my Other OS

They say in the guide, that if you are uncertain what your resolution is to just press enter and the installer will determain this for you. So I do this and now I have a Garbled screen and I can't see anything on the screen as to how to cancel the install and Don't know what to do next. I try hitting escape but nothing. Fuck I hate this shit.
    Last edited by RageProphetXIII; 09-10-2009, 03:56 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

• Hogezz
      Honorary DSA
      • Jan 2009

I think holding down the power touch button for 5 seconds on the PS3 should do it. I'm a noob though, so I could be wrong! Was in the link you posted to the PDF.
      sigpic

Comment

• RageProphetXIII
        Officer
        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Hogezz
        I think holding down the power touch button for 5 seconds on the PS3 should do it. I'm a noob though, so I could be wrong! Was in the link you posted to the PDF.
        I'm going to guess that feature on works on HD tv's and I have a Standard. I should have Tabbed over until I saw 480i that is standard or installtext.

I did shut it down so I hope I can just pick up where I left off at when I get home tonight.
        sigpic

Comment

• RageProphetXIII
          Officer
          • Jan 2009

So I found that there is a PS2 emulator that will work on linux, upon further research I have discovered that because of the restrictions on the system hardware the PS3 would not be able to play PS2 games using the emulator......Now we need to figure out how to hack the PS3 so that linux can use that hardware. Or I suggest petitioning Sony to lift the restrictions so that we may better take advantage of it's processing power.
          sigpic

Comment

• MajinTony
            Honorary DSA
            • Aug 2005

So I watched some vids on youtube (Installing Linux on your PS3 pt 1 & 2) and the dude ran Ubuntu. It was pretty slow and didn't really optimize the PS3s power. He said it was OK for coding but to watch media hub stuff, it sucked. So he said he basically got his hopes up and was pretty dissapointed. I'd check it out before you commit.

Some user comments underneath said that Yellow Dog works the best and increases the speed.

I'd just make sure you're 100% about this.

"Beefcake the Mighty, clotted with spew. His sword falls, skulls burst in two. The eyes burst from sockets, he is not through. Thousands of warriors he does this to. Piling the corpses of those that he slew. Untill it was hard to tell if the pile grew!"-GWAR

Comment

• RageProphetXIII
              Officer
              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by MajinTony
              So I watched some vids on youtube (Installing Linux on your PS3 pt 1 & 2) and the dude ran Ubuntu. It was pretty slow and didn't really optimize the PS3s power. He said it was OK for coding but to watch media hub stuff, it sucked. So he said he basically got his hopes up and was pretty dissapointed. I'd check it out before you commit.

Some user comments underneath said that Yellow Dog works the best and increases the speed.

I'd just make sure you're 100% about this.
              I saw that video as well I can't recall what he used I think it was also an older video.

Well so far I've installed YDL on my PS3, but I have a SD tv and It does not look that great and it is not as easy to use as I thought it would be. I thinki I'll try Ubuntu next it has been modified to run on the PS3 and from the videos i've seen it runs pretty good and I know how to used it better. It has an easier interface when it comes to downloading and installing program since it has the feature already built into it.

I'm rather dissapointed with YDL I thought it would be the one. I also notice that the firmware updates have caused some issues with YDL and comming from SOny it doesn't surprise me. I'll try ubuntu next if I can't get it to function the way I wish for it to then I'll just erase it and move on.

I'll be using the guide below, for Ubuntu 8.10 for the PS3. I'll report later today when it's done and how it works out.
              http://www.ps3linuxworld.com/2008/11...10-on-your-ps3
              Last edited by RageProphetXIII; 09-11-2009, 01:39 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

• Rommel
                Civilian
                • Jul 2009

The problem isn't Ubuntu or Yellow Dog. You have to realize that the PS3 isn't a laptop or a desktop with a huge amount of RAM, Cache, and Registers. You cannot/should not expect it to run as smooth, even if the Cell processor is much faster (the processor speed doesn't matter because it has to wait for memory, whose speed is about 100x slower).

Since you didn't provide links or details to the youtube videos you talk about, it's quite possible they were running an old version of Ubuntu.

In any case, I don't understand why people keep choosing Ubuntu or Yellow Dog over smaller, faster, more lightweight versions of Linux, like Xubuntu. Xubuntu is also one of the most (if not THE most) user-friendly Operating systems out there.

And Linux does take time to learn, just like switching between Mac and Windows takes time.

Comment

• Rommel
                  Civilian
                  • Jul 2009

Jeez... they took away my editing privileges. :(

Oh well, I just wanted to add that it would be nice if someone made Puppy Linux for PS3. THAT would be very nice... almost as nice as an edit button...

Comment

Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎